Very few models work in every specialized field. A model’s ability to work in a certain field is, to some degree, dependent upon the model’s look (age, height, weight, ethnicity, etc.) However, in some cases, a model’s natural talent and training can overcome not being the preferred type.
- Fashion/runway models- Requires women to be 5’7″ and taller and men to be 5’11” and taller. Fashion models show, represent, or sell fashion and beauty-related ideas, services, and products either in print or runway.
- Commercial/lifestyle models- Because fashion is not being featured, there are no specific height or figure requirements. Product/commercial models show, represent, or sell products other than items associated with beauty and fashion.
- Petite models- In addition to modeling petite fashions (size 3-7 petite,) petite models with outstanding faces model beauty products and might also appear in television commercials in which height is not a factor.
- Plus-size models- Plus-size models wear clothing that is Misses size 12 or larger. They most often appear in catalogs or fashions shows for plus-size apparel.
- Promotional models- Promotional models’ looks vary according to the needs of the company that employs them. The three most commonly requested looks are business-like professional, wholesome All-American, or glamorous and sexy.
- Child models- Most of these jobs call for children between the ages of 5 and 12. Children who look young and are small for their age are often preferred because they are more mature.